Thursday, August 26, 2010

Review: Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)Title: Guilty Pleasures (Vampire Hunter #1 - Anita Blake Series)
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Pages: 272
Publisher: Ace
Language: English 
ISBN: 0441304834
When St. Louis's most powerful vampire comes to Anita Blake for help, she is faced with her greatest fear-a man capable of arousing in her a hunger strong enough to match his own. 
Review:

I am an Anne Rice fan, and after reading her books I decided to venture to another author. Scouting the net and looking for great reviews I have decided to read on of Hamilton's book. Guilty pleasure is the first of 17 books (up to date of posting, with 2 up coming books in 2010) in the Anita Blake series. I immediately took a liking to the book.

Hamilton's version of vampires are so like Rice that I didn't have a hard time adapting to the characters. Anita Blake is the main character of the series who is on retainer with the police and handles supernatural cases. Anita is both an animator and a vampire executioner. Anita in the book is a sarcastic and tough girl who takes care of herself.

So the book goes on about a case where vampires are being murdered and the police asked Anita to help. Investigating the case, she eventually was asked to find the killer by another group of people – the vampires. Master of the city Nikolaos, who is a sadistic thousand year old vampire in a kids body, asks Anita to find the killer. So as the story continues, Anita finds a new ally who is Jean Claude who will later give her the marks of her becoming his human servant in a desperate move of saving both of them from Nikolaos.

With the help of Edward, a fellow executioner and hired assassin, both of them will partner up for a mission to kill Nikolaos and her minions. So the two of them kills both Nikolaos and her allies after exposing that the serial killer is one of her people.

It was a good book to read especially to people who loves long series and the supernatural. Very graphic and detailed, you will certainly enjoy every page of the book and will want to continue reading until you finish all 17 books. I do hope you enjoy this series as much as I did.


5 comments:

  1. Nice review! I haven't actually read any of the Anita Blake series (oddly enough one of my friends was an editor for the first graphic novel) but I do like vampire books so I'll probably get to these sooner or later. Right now I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse southern vampire mysteries. Have you read them? Strange as it is, I think what I like most is that the vampire mythology in them is so different than anything else I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa. You should try if you like very long series. I mean it's 17 books with 2 coming out 2011. Haven't read any Stackhouse books. How many are there? I'm compiling a list on what to read and what to buy before the end of the year and I'm confused on what to put on the list. I would appreciate a suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how many are in the Sookie Stackhouse series, I've only read the first three. I tend to be pretty incomplete when it comes to reading series - I start a ton and finish very few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a book set of 6 or 8 I think. I'm thinking of buying one and if I enjoy it, I'll buy one each time I finish a book.

    I actually love series. When I read a book which is part of a series, I actually read the whole set. I dunno if it's a compulsion of not but I don't want to leave anything unfinished. Even reading long series. :) This is the same reason that breaks my budget too! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am a new follower. Welcome back to bloggin. I like Anita BLake but I LOOOOVE Meredith Gentry which is a spin off from Blake.
    Hope you will visit me at Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    I LOVE the background you have chosen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive