Thursday, September 30, 2010

BTT - Booking Through Thursday (Sept 30)

If you read series, do you ever find a series “jumping the shark?” How do you feel about that?
And, do you keep reading anyway?

I have been a lover for book series regardless of a genre. This seems to be my weakness since I cannot tell myself to stop reading a book in spite the fact that it's going downhill. I always have that urge of wanting to know what will happen next was the story, the characters, etc.

I started this habit when I picked up a book from the Scarpetta series of Cornwell. Then it was followed by the Dismas Hardy series of Lescroart. Both series has it's highights and some books may not be as great as the previous but still has enough pull to keep me interested.

Then I got to learn about the Anita Blake series of Hamilton. That was a roller coaster ride by itself. Since the series includes 19 books, it is quite a read. Hamilton certainly had her downhill with the series, and a lot of people didn't quite enjoy the twist that she injected into it, but inspite the fact I still read the series thinking that it can reach it's peak again. Well let's see.

I just don't abandon a series. If I started it, I need to finish it until the last book. Maybe I should stop reading series, but where's the fun in that right??

9 comments:

  1. I have only abandoned one series. I try and finish them. But wow sometimes a series just turns like you can't believe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you series readers, I don't think I could do it for the long haul. MY BTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way - I need to finish the series to see how it will end!

    Here's my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post topic :)

    I had a hard time deciding on how I feel about this question...I love series books, but by that I mean essentially novels that tell a long story over several books...I am not that big on series books that are series only in the sense that they feature the same character -- like the typical mystery or thriller series. That kind of series, I will abandon if they no longer work for me...One example is the Faye Kellerman Peter Decker mysteries...I gave up on them midway through the series because they just got too violent, weird, and the dynamic between the two main characters wasn't the same...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer! Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/09/booking-through-thursday-series-shark.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the case of the Anita Blake books, they've moved so far beyond the original six or so books that they've almost become a self-parody. At least they have to me. I haven't read one in forever and have no desire to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to read a series, but I must admit it's not for everyone. Some finds it dragging to read a continuous series and chooses a stand alone novel but sometimes it's also fun to read different series. It's a matter of what the reader feels doing at that time. :)

    Thanks for dropping by gals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have to agree I need to finish a series to find out what happens at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't abandon series because of my need to know how things end.

    My BTT is up: http://pageflippinaddict.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/booking-through-thursday-series/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive