Thursday, September 2, 2010

BTT - Film to Paper (Sept 2)

Even though it’s usually a mistake (grin) … do movies made out of books make you want to read the original?
Okay this is an interesting question. Here's what I think about this. When I KNOW firsthand that the movie came from a book - I don't watch the movie UNTIL I've read the book. If eventually I've watched a movie then LATER realize that it came from a book - I hunt the book down and read it.

WHY? Simply because the book 'version' is way better than the movie. I mean why do screen writers and directors edit out the BEST part of the book. They change the whole ending or change big parts of the story altogether. I don't get it. They justify this because they seem to think that this is better where in fact it's not! I mean, as everybody and 70% will say that they like the book better than the film!
If I have read the book first, I don't usually watch the movie anymore because I know it'll suck, everytime!





3 comments:

  1. Usually I try not to compare books and their movies. I find I'm happier if I just accept them as different interpretations of the same subject - similar to going to an art museum and seeing a still life done in an abstract and an impressionist style, they can both be good even though they're sometimes barely recognizable as coming from the same source. In the past I've made the mistake of rereading a favorite book right before seeing its movie. I was really ticked off at how much was changed. Now I try to put as much time between reading and seeing - that way if my recollections of the work sufficiently fade I'm usually happier with what the filmmakers produce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are definitely films that put a spin to the book making it better than the actual book but what saddens me every time is how they change the ending or leave out the best part. But I do agree with you, they are two separate styles which makes them different from one another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do read certain books after watching a period drama. In a way it has only enhanced a movie. However, I don't like to watch movies after reading a book. Exceptions are there,
    though!

    Here is my BTT: Film to Books post!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive