Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review: The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)Title: The Lunatic Cafe (Vampire Hunter #4: Anita Blake Series)
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Pages: 384
Publisher: Berkley Trade
ISBN: 051513452X
The zombie-raising business gets slow in December, so Anita Blake is starting to see some oddball cases. She's got a neatly typed list of eight missing lycanthropes given to her by Marcus, the leader of the local werewolf pack, who wants her to find them. The trouble is, Anita's occasionally furry boyfriend Richard is locked in a power struggle with Marcus. Jean-Claude, master vampire of the city and Anita's other love interest, is getting jealous as well. To top it off, Anita has to solve some horrific murders and keep her bounty-hunting friend Edward from killing Richard and Jean-Claude. Hamilton alternates between funny and fearsome in this larky series about a monster hunter with a few dark secrets.

Review:

As I said in the first three reviews, Laurell K. Hamilton creates a new world of supernatural that keeps everybody hooked and enthrall new reader to picking a book and reading the series. I never get tired or bored of reading this series and I just keep on wanting more. This story continues with Anita's adventure as Executioner and a part of the RIPIT. What I also love about this story is the continuing struggle in the love department as Jean Claude and Richard fights over Anita's affection. Anita will be engaged in this book but there's a huge twist that you will love when you read it. Anita still continues to be dominant among the supernatural in spite the fact that she is still human. A combination of sarcasm, love affairs, brilliance and equality is what makes me stick to the series. If you love hardcore action with a little romance juggled in a supernatural creatures in the human world, Hamilton's series is the right choice for you!


2 comments:

  1. I will be interested to see what you think about this series as it progresses.

    I *LOVED* the first 3-4 (maybe 4-5... don't quite remember) books in this series where Anita was actually still working with the police and solving crimes... but the later books degrade into "How much sex can Anita have this time... and with how many supernatural beings?"

    I gave up on this series, but a friend of mine is still reading it... still hoping for a plot... any plot that doesn't have to do with Anita having sex, to show up.

    Both of us prefer Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series to the Blake one, because at least Meredith has a legit reason to be having sex all the time XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather. I do agree with you on this one. I have read the series before but re-reading it as part of a challenge. Halfway through the series I lost interest but I still read it to know how the story progress. I wish Hamilton didn't make Anita a succubus because half of the books in the series are just about sex. I haven't read book 18 and 19 and I don't know what the story is about but let's see.

    I have heard of the Gentry series and would be looking into it after I re-read the Anita series. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive