Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage)
Title: The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Trilogy #2)
Author: Steig Larsson
Pages: 503
Publisher: Vintage
ISBN: 0307269981
Fans of intelligent page-turners will be more than satisfied by Larsson's second thriller, even though it falls short of the high standard set by its predecessor, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which introduced crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist and punk hacker savant Lisbeth Salander. A few weeks before Dag Svensson, a freelance journalist, plans to publish a story that exposes important people involved in Sweden's sex trafficking business based on research conducted by his girlfriend, Mia Johansson, a criminologist and gender studies scholar, the couple are shot to death in their Stockholm apartment. Salander, who has a history of violent tendencies, becomes the prime suspect after the police find her fingerprints on the murder weapon. While Blomkvist strives to clear Salander of the crime, some far-fetched twists help ensure her survival. Powerful prose and intriguing lead characters will carry most readers along. (Aug.)

Review:

This series keeps getting better and better! I love the first book and thought that Larsson played the characters brilliantly. With this book, he didn't hesitant on giving his twist that will make you say, "What??? Is that for real?" I mean I had that same feeling near the end of the book. When I thought that it was great with how the story goes, then I read another twist which makes the book so explosive. This is a great read especially for people like me that loves mystery suspense.

Well my comment again like with the first book, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I had a hard time keeping track of the characters and remember the name. I don't even know what Folken means. I keep on forgetting who was who as sometimes I'm lost in the book but I managed.

Another is the ending. I mean, it is indeed open ended because the story will continue in the final book but I felt it was a little short. But the ending was indeed what made me more excited to read the last book immediately. I am certainly recommending this book to those who haven't read it yet. If you happen to have this in your TBR pile, pick it up.



9 comments:

  1. oh wow...I always wanted to read the books...they're staring at me from the shelf every day but I'm so busy with all the other books I gotta read that it'll take me a while to start reading the three of them^^
    My mom read them a while ago...and she was totally thrilled.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from the Sunday Blues! I really want to read the first book; I reserved it from the library but it hasn't come yet! I always hate it when I struggle with keeping track of who's who, but this sounds worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm here from Sunday Blues!

    I so want to read these books but just haven't been able to squeeze them in. 500 pgs is pretty hefty for a mystery too, but I'm going to try and get to them next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys should read this series. I mean, if you love mystery thriller the pages are worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep noticing this series at my bookstore but never pick it up. Your review was awesome and well thought out, thank you! I'm definitely going to pick it up next time I'm out and about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie. Enjoy the book when you read it but read the first book. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. :) So you'll understand the second book more! enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i liked this one even better than the first :) have you read book 3? nice review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audrey. The series keeps getting better and better. Yes I am reading book three and I'm near finishing it. I am happy that you enjoy the series as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to read these books for a while! I will definitely try to get some copies soon to check them out. :) Thanks for the rave review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive