Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Hunger
Book: Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse #1)
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Paperback: 180 pages
Publisher: Graphia
ISBN: 0547341245
Source: Netgalley

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

Review:

Hunger has tickled my imagination when I first saw the cover. Reading what the book is about, I became fascinated and asked for an ARC of the book. The four horsemen of the Apocalypse was something I was interested in reading and thus my choice in choosing the book, but Kessler gave a different twist to an interesting topic. Collaborating the mystical elements of fictional character to a real problem that girls encounter everyday, Hunger is a great book to impart to young adults.

It is an unconventional read that you can give your child who is sensitive about eating disorders. At first the book is blunt about the topic of eating disorder but throughout the book, you can sense the message of what Kessler wants to impart to her readers.

What I don't like about the book is the fact that it is a short read, under 200 pages. I wanted to read more history about the stories behind each character in the book. I wanted more of the mythology and fantasy injected in the book.

All in all, Hunger can be a great read. As I said, it tackles a sensitive problem that most people don't want to talk about but Kessler imparted her message in a subtle manner with a little humor on the side. And throughout the book, well imagine Kurt Cobain as death. Great read and a must-buy book.


4 comments:

  1. It's good to hear this is a good book. I actually have it and have been meaning to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinn, it is a fast read you can finish it in one sitting. :) If you love YA novels this is great for you. Certainly enjoy the fantasy twist that Kessler incorporated into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one, I thought the premise sounded interesting...I think I read that this was going to be a series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually yes. Kessler is actually writing the second book, Rage, which will be released 2011. That book is focused on War.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive