Saturday, September 18, 2010

Review: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones

Title: The Lovely Bones
Author:
Alice Sebold
Pages:
328 
Publisher: Back Bay Books

ISBN-10: 0316666343

Story of a family devastated by a gruesome murder -- a murder recounted by the teenage victim. Upsetting, you say? Remarkably, first-time novelist Alice Sebold takes this difficult material and delivers a compelling and accomplished exploration of a fractured family's need for peace and closure.


Review:


This was a great book, an exceptional read from a great author. It talks about the death of a child being murdered and it became an unresolved case over the years. At first it was such a slow read, I nearly gave up reading the book after the second chapter. For me, it also was confusing at time because the book is being narrative as it seems by the murdered child. She talks about one thing and the next paragraph is totally different from the previous. But the main purpose of the book was to help us realized the worth of life in a way that you'll understand that death of one doesn't mean the death of all. It's hard talking about this when I myself experience death of a family member and it made me hard to cope. The book will certainly give you a lighter feeling of grief, that life doesn't stop when you loose a love one. In a way, the book can be a companion through the grieving process and when one is in denial.

The ending seems flat, like there's something missing. But the story seems to overcome the books short comings. Alice Sebold wrote a magnificent book that people can relate to. Read the book, you'll know what I mean.







1 comment:

  1. Hi. Found you through the hop. I read somewhere in your blog that you aren't a very social person and I can so relate. I love the name of your blog for that very reason, I would love to have a Clandestine Sanctuary to run away to and read all day. I've met some nice bloggers even though I am short on social skills. I like people; I'm just not very good with people. Sad, but happily the blogosphere doesn't rely on being a social butterfly. Nice blog you have here!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive