Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Review: The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

Title: The Mephisto Club
Author: Tess Gerristen
Pages: 448
Publisher: Ballantine Books
ISBN: 0345477006

Evil exists. Evil walks the streets. And evil has spawned a diabolical new disciple in this white-knuckle thriller from New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen.
PECCAVI The Latin word is scrawled in blood at the scene of a young woman’s brutal murder: I HAVE SINNED. It’s a chilling Christmas greeting for Boston medical examiner Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli, who swiftly link the victim to controversial celebrity psychiatrist Joyce O’Donnell–Jane’s professional nemesis and member of a sinister cabal called the Mephisto Club.
On top of Beacon Hill, the club’s acolytes devote themselves to the analysis of evil: Can it be explained by science? Does it have a physical presence? Do demons walk the earth? Drawing on a wealth of dark historical data and mysterious religious symbolism, the Mephisto scholars aim to prove a startling theory: that Satan himself exists among us.
With the grisly appearance of a corpse on their doorstep, it’s clear that someone–or something–is indeed prowling the city. The members of the club begin to fear the very subject of their study. Could this maniacal killer be one of their own–or have they inadvertently summoned an evil entity from the darkness?
Delving deep into the most baffling and unusual case of their careers, Maura and Jane embark on a terrifying journey to the very heart of evil, where they encounter a malevolent foe more dangerous than any they have ever faced . . . one whose work is only just beginning. 

Review:

This book was given to me and I love it though I don't know what my exact thoughts are on the main characters are. Initially I didn't know that this book was part of a series, which most of you know that I am a super die hard lover of book series. When I read various reviews over at Amazon, I've got mixed reviews. Most of them suggested that if reading a book from this series is your first time, stay away from The Mephisto Club. I should have trusted those suggestions, but this book was a gift so I read it.

Reading the book was a-ok. It was not boring. The story kept me guessing throughout the book which I super love. The main characters are so so. I don't love them but I don't also hate them. I just feel that they are not my cup of tea. I don't super love the book unlike the Scarpetta series or the Hardy series but it was intriguing enough that I want to read the first few books of the series. After that I'll decide if the series is worth my reading time.

The book was overall mediocre. It's a three for me which is low if you ask me. Let's see what I'll think of the other books. If you happen to read the book/series, any suggestions as to what book should I read?

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! You just got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! You just got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive