Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

The Lying Game
Title: The Lying Game (The Lying Game Series #1)
Author: Sara Shepard
Pages: 320
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 0061869708
Source: Netgalley

I had a life anyone would kill for.
Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.
Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?
From Sara Shepard, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Pretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting new series about secrets, lies, and killer consequences.
Let the lying game begin.


Review:

I haven't read the Pretty Little Liars series but now I am eager to see if Pretty Little Liars were as good as The Lying Game.

The first few pages was an attention catcher. I loved every details the book gave me. The characters we're well thought and written, the plot was mysterious and interesting and the ending was really a cliff hanger. The Lying Game is the first of Sara Shepard's The Lying Games series and it tell us the story of how Emma discovers that she has a twin, Sutton, but what's more interesting and surprising about this is that Emma needs to find who killed Sutton.

Emma ventures to Sutton's world trying to discover who and what life did her twin lived apart from her. Emma realizing that her twin lived the more grandeur and greener life didn't felt envy or despair but the opposite. Now knowing that Sutton is in fact dead, she need to find who really killed her.

What I loved about this book was that the characters were realistic enough for people to relate. The lines were believable and the situation is very possible. Emma is a character that we all can love. Sutton may appear the spoiled and bully brat in the series but we all know that we have our own "Suttons" in our life. The dilemma of how Emma moves forward and how she will handle this complication is the main pull for me plus it is a fast paced book. Love how I read it in one sitting. I would have love to read about the twins actual separation and why.

It's a great story line and captivating with each page turn. For a first book in a series, it was very clever and informative to start a series yet effective in a way that it really gives us a lingering feeling to reading what will happen next. The story was just cut at the perfect time to keep us guessing as to who really did it and why. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Though some say this is somewhat life Pretty Little Liars, I can't say the same given the fact I haven't read the series. But if they are, then Pretty Little Liars are a definite read in the future. Warning to parents though, the book contains a lot of inappropriate acts that kids often do (drinking, bullying, etc.) but this book can be a great way to discuss those acts and what makes them inappropriate. But for adults, The Lying Game is a definite must buy.

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to grab the Pretty Little Liars series for some time now, but somehow I haven't yet!
    This book sounds reall good too!
    Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, haven't read the PLL series yet but I've been wanting to read it for a while too. :) Just haven't got the time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review. I've just read and reviewed this book and I loved it! I haven't read the PLL series either but I know now that I have to. If it's any where near as good as TLG I'm sure I'll devour the hole series.

    I'm your newest follower by the way. Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ladybug - glad that you enjoyed the book as well. Same as you with PLL but I am intrigued if it's as good as TLG series. Let's see. I have them in my reader. Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive