Monday, January 3, 2011

Book Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

UnearthlyTitle: Unearthly (Unearthly #1)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Pages: 448
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 0061996165
Source: Netgalley

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

Review:

Clara knows learns about her purpose, follow it to an unknown land and lives her life as if it's nothing important. As Clara follows her vision she thinks she knows what she needs to do and what is suppose to happen.  Living your life knowing that you are part angel and that you have a purpose to fulfill is not always favorable but manageable. Together with her family, Clara tries to discover what her life is about, the secrets behind them and what is in store for her. As Clara meets new friends and rediscovers herself in Wyoming, she eventually learns and understand a little about her purpose and her kind with help from a friend. Clara thinks she knows and understand what she has to do with her purpose but eventually gets confused when a love triangle was introduces between her, Christin and Tuck. From the very beginning Clara knows what she has to do to fulfill her mission but eventually she learns that fate may have played a complicated game.

I love the mystery that the book offers me. It my have started slow, but eventually the novel picked it's pace. This novel leaves me pondering of what the story really is and no matter how hard I try to formulate how the story may evolve, I am left clueless which is great because nobody wants a predictable book. The relationship between Clara and her mother is the best part of the story. Additional to that, I loved how Hand didn't wrote the romance part between characters irritating like some YA books I read. The ending was awesome and just enough pull to leave me wanting to read the next novel. I loved how Hand played around with the story as well as the characters making Unearthly one of my favorite for 2011.

If you'll ask me if I hate something about the book, the answer is yes. What I hate about the book is the part that the story stopped! I am craving for more. :) Would definitely follow the series and definitely would recommend to a lot of people.

3 comments:

  1. I have this on order. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I can't wait for this book! It sounds great and that cover is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. l have this on my list of books l need to read! May put it as my next read after this review =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive