Monday, January 17, 2011

Virtual Tour: Novel Writing and Mad Libs Contest with Kiki Howell

One of my favorite things about writing is playing with words. I tend to write in stages. First, I work out a plot, chapter by chapter with research notes, key scenes, etc. Second, I crank out the rough draft writing as frantically as my fingers can type. This is not very fast, of course, since I have never had a typing class in my life. Third, and here is my favorite part, I rewrite adding in descriptions of characters, settings, situations, etc. I play with the words often here, stopping to rework a few sentences until I am satisfied with the way the words flow. I have found that sometimes merely changing the order of them can tweak your meaning. Then, in the fourth stage, when an editor gets a hold of it, this can change. But, it usually changes for the better.

Maybe it is this playing with words that always made me a fan of Mad Libs, both as a child and as an adult when my boys liked them. In fact, this year I found myself picking up the Christmas version alone! LOL Shh, don’t tell anyone. So, I got this idea to create a Mad Lib out of a few sentences in my latest release, Torn Asunder, and to use it as a contest. Maybe it is dorky and immature, well, my teens would say it is, but I hope you will have fun playing along anyway.

CONTEST

So, below you will find the Mad Libs list of words needed. To enter the contest,  in the comments section, fill in the words asked for below as if I were asking you for them doing a Mad Lib. For more information on Mad Libs, if you are unfamiliar, go here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Libs.  Don’t forget to add your name and email in the comment. On a daily basis, each person to enter will be emailed their completed Mad Lib with the words they choose inserted into it. Then, on Friday, Jan 21st, I will come back and post a comment with: the winner’s name (chosen randomly),  the winner’s completed Mad Lib (and maybe a few others in additional comments), as well as the sentences as they were originally written. Then I will email the winner for their snail mail address. Winner will get an Interactive CD of Torn Asunder made for me by the wonderful BK Walker.

Torn Asunder Mad Lib List of Words Needed:
 1. noun – thing; 2. verb with –ing; 3. noun – thing; 4. noun – thing; 5. noun – place; 6. noun – place; 7. verb with –ed; 8. animal or beast; 9. noun – place; 10. adverb;  11. animal part; 12. adverb; 13. animal part  

So, I hope you will enjoy playing as much as I did making it. And to the winner, I hope you will enjoy my newest novel, Torn Asunder, as much as I did writing it. Fraught with scenes of explicit intimacy, romantic spells and mystical shapeshifting, Torn Asunder is a unique blending of the age of manners with sexual magic.

Author Bio:

Ever since she was young, Kiki Howell has loved to listen to a well-woven tale with real characters, inspired plots, and delightful resolutions. Kiki could spend hours lost in a book, and soon she knew that creating lives, loves, and losses with just words had to be the greatest thing that she could do. To that end, she pursued her study of literature and writing, earning a bachelor’s degree in English. She then followed in a Master’s program in Creative Writing.

After a long break having my boys, I finally just had to write again. And, as soon as I gave the stories the space, they entered it. It’s both awesome and humbling to find the words in my mind become characters on a page and create their lives.
She has now had over  twenty stories published between five different small presses.  She could not be more thrilled or grateful to see her creations polished and out in the real world. Please look around. Although, a bit of caution, most of her stories tend to hang out on the graphically sexy side of town.

Kiki resides in the Midwest with her incredibly handsome and talented, singer/songwriter husband and two children. When she is not writing, she is spending time with her family, reading, baking or knitting.


Blurb:

Aubrey Griffen is a witch whose true reasons for coming to London soon fall to the wayside when she catches the eye of Edmund Bryant, the Marquess of Dalysbury.  He seduces her into a whirlwind romance until the lies and threats of his mother force her to flee to Triaill Brimuir, a secret island of her ancestors off the coast of Ireland. Edmund goes after her only to be hit by Aubrey’s confusion and anger when she magically transforms him into an elemental beast of her own creation.

However, it is when Edmund’s lust mysteriously turns him back into a man that the couple are forced to deal with a family secret and untold of powers.  Now, Edmund must learn to shift himself into the beast in order to save her in a battle of black verses white magic.

Genres: Historical (Regency), Paranormal (Witches & Shifters), Erotic Romantic Suspense

Purchase at in ebook or trade paperback at Excessica Publishing or Amazon as well as many other retailers. Author Website for additional information and Buy Links: www.kikihowell.com

5 comments:

  1. 1. noun – Door; 2. verb running; 3. noun – ring; 4. noun – iron; 5. noun – grocery store; 6. noun office; 7. verb crashed; 8. dragon; 9. noun barn; 10. flippantly adverb; 11. animal part-wing; 12. gloriously; 13. horn animal part

    hope you understand this on Kiki

    alexx
    amcgbb@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I horribly suck at Mad Libs. I'm too scared to play!

    BUT I loved being introduced to this book because it sounds very interesting. :)

    AND Greyz I gave you an award on my blog today! http://alicross.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali!

    Seems you are not the only one. I have had emails behind the scenes which say the same (or even played behind the scenes). I'm not sure what to do about this contest. LOL!

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's Friday :) So, you win for commenting :)

    I already emailed Alexx, but Ali if you want to shoot me an email at howell.kiki@gmail.com with your name and snail mail address, I will send you an interactive CD of Torn Asunder.

    Thanks,
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive