Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Virtual Tour: A New Birth of Freedom: The Visitor by Robert Pielke

A New Birth of Freedom: The VisitorTitle: A New Birth Of Freedom: The Visitor
Author: Robert Pielke
Paperback: 226 pages
Publisher: Altered Dimensions (August 15, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1936021234
Source: Tribute Books

Review:

Can you imagine seeing a guy casually dressed in jeans and Nike during the 1800s? Well this is what Edwin Blaire did when he traveled back and forth through time in order to save Earth from unwanted visitors.

The Visitor is a novel that is written with detailed historical facts accompanied by sci-fi elements that will entertain you while reading the book. First, I would just like to state that I am not a fan of sci-fi and time travelling because I often get confused but The Visitor was a great read. Although it started slow for me. It was well written, the attention to detail by Peilke with history was amazing and the plot was a enough to pull me into reading the book. Additional to this, I love the illustration inside the book as it gives me a picture of what a certain scene might look like.

The only thing that I would comment on is the cliffhanger ending. I hate it when story leads to an abrupt ending which mean I need to read the second book to know what will happen next. I would also love a different cover art but these are just minor details and it doesn't weigh the book down. Asides the negative factors, The Visitor is a novel worth recommending especially to sci-fi fanatics and readers who love time travel.



Paperback buy links:





eBook buy links:




Author Bio:



Robert G. Pielke, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, now lives in Claremont, California. He earned a B.A. in History at the University of Maryland, an M. Div. in Systematic Theology at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, and a Ph.D. in Social Ethics from the Claremont Graduate School.

He taught on ground and online for countless years at George Mason University in Virginia, El Camino College in California and online for the University of Phoenix. Now happily retired from “the job,” he is doing what he always wanted to do since he wrote his first novel at ten in elementary school. It was one paragraph, three pages long and, although he didn’t know it at the time, it was alternate history.

His academic writings have been in the area of ethics, including a boring academic treatise called Critiquing Moral Arguments, logic, and popular culture. Included in the latter is an analysis of rock music entitled You Say You Want a Revolution: Rock Music in American Culture. He has also published short stories, feature articles, film and restaurant reviews. His novels include a savagely satirical novel on America and its foibles, proclivities and propensities, Hitler the Cat Goes West, and an alternate history, science fiction novel, The Mission.

Most recently, he has updated and revised his book on rock music, which is being republished by McFarland & Co.

He swims daily, skis occasionally, cooks as an avocation, watches innumerable movies, collects rock and roll concert films, is an avid devotee of Maryland crabs and maintains a rarely visited blog filled with his social and political ravings. His favorite film is the original Hairspray; his favorite song is “A Day in the Life”; his favorite pizza is from the original Ledo Restaurant in College Park, MD; and he is a firm believer in the efficacy of “sex, drugs and rock and roll.” Somehow his family and friends put up with him.


5 comments:

  1. Kumusta Grayz.

    Salamat para sa nice review. ;-)

    I'm sorry you were disturbed by the "non-ending." This is the first book of a trilogy, and my editor and I agreed that I should leave a "hook" at the end.

    I should also tell you that I was the one who came up with the cover idea. [My published created the "Edwin Blair" figure to modify the original photo.

    But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Bob Pielke

    PS Some of my best friends are Pilipinas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greyz - thanks for your review. I'm glad that you liked "A New Birth of Freedom: The Visitor" even though sci-fi isn't your genre.

    For all those who would like to follow along on the book's blog tour, please visit http://anewbirthoffreedom-thevisitor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bob - sorry about the error. I've already edited it. :)) Have you tried traveling here? You Tagalog also made me smile.

    Would certainly read the next book. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been the Philippines, but who knows...I may get there one day. [I am surprised that people there might feel comfortable with a novel so deeply embedded in 19th Century American history.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive