Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: Entwined by Heather Dixon

Title: Entwined
Author: Heather Dixon
Pages: 480
PublisherGreenwillow Books
ISBN0062001035 

Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.
The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.
Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.
But there is a cost.
The Keeper likes to keep things.
Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.

Review:

Entwined is a retelling of the classic fairy tale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Although I haven't read The Twelve Dancing Princesses, I actually enjoyed this book. I can't compare it to the classic tale but here's what I think about this retelling.

First off, I love how Dixon wrote this beautifully. Flawless storytelling. I wasn't bombarded with information in the first few chapters - the story unraveled itself in a steady pace, not too slow and boring but not rushed either. I enjoyed how I can picture the scenes in the novel - that's what I love most. Reading the story and picturing it at the same time as if I was actually there.

The characters where unique and had their own individual characteristic. You can actually tell them apart, that's great since there are twelve princesses to start off. Azalea down to Lily (youngest) had their own personality which helps to remember who is who. Bramble was actually a favorite - fun and quirky. Each girl had their highlight in the book as you read along. And the naming of the princesses was interesting on my opinion though I can't remember them all. The romance part wasn't big on this story but it's there and some of the love matches were a surprise.

I love how the relationship between the characters were relate-able. The princesses relationship to their dying mother, the Kings relationship to the princesses, the loving nature and close knit bond between the sisters. Everything!

I loveeeeeeee the gorgeous cover on this novel. Who wouldn't want to try that dress out? This is what actually caught my attention at first. And yes, a cover does influence a reader when picking up a book sometimes (oops guilty!) So is entwined a great read? Yes. Is it worth a reader's time? Yes. If you're a sucker for fairy tales and a  beautifully crafted book, then Entwined is for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive