Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across The Universe (Across The Universe #1)
Author: Beth Revis
Pages: 398
Publisher: Razorbill
ISBN1595143971 
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Review:

Across the Universe were one off those books that I anticipated to read but somehow disappointed me when I finished reading it. It wasn't that bad but I had a hard time finishing the book, I actually fell asleep most times and it took me longer to finish it.

The transition between view points of Amy and Elder was okay but somehow confused me as I got deeper in the story. Although it's clear who was saying what, I seem to go back and forth from the story just to follow the  flow. The start was very interesting, promising - then come the middle wherein it was dragged to long just to get to the point - and then the ending was somewhat written hastily for my taste. The characters  were okay but not great - there were a lot of times with conflicting emotions and actions.

Don't get me wrong, the premise was intriguing enough which is why I picked up this book but it seemed a little flat added with a gorgeous over but I expected more from this book.What I loved about the book was the lack of instant romance that most YA seemed to have. Another thing I love was the lesson and question that the story had involving society, culture and people, leadership, etc. Would I read the next book? Maybe but I am still contemplating on that.



1 comment:

  1. I've been really looking forward to reading this book...but I am worried about the changes in POV...I usually am not keen on that.



    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive