Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Trilogy #1)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 374
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
ISBN0439023483 

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review:

First of all, I've been hearing a lot of great things about this book since it first became a hit - and I only came to my senses to read the trilogy this month and boy did I need a slap for not reading it earlier. Anyway, on to the review.

Reading The Hunger Games was a mind blowing experience for me. I loved everything about the book, from the simple cover, the interesting plot, the characters, the setting, how the story progressed, writing style of the author - I can go on and on about how much I enjoyed reading and what I loved about this book so let's keep this short and sweet.

First off, the plot was interesting and intriguing. The plot was the main pull for me from the very start. Who doesn't want to read about people chosen to "play" a game of to kill or be killed?  The story was very fast paced especially when you come to the part when the games officially begin and believe me, when you reach that part - you can't put the book down, it's not even an option. In addition to that I loved the characters. Every one of them. The romantic subplot of the book was okay, I wasn't crazy about it but it was there though I am interested on how Collins will play it out with the second book. What I wanted more from this book was a little more history of how everything started. I mean, why did the rebellion happen or how - the main reason behind everything. The ending was amazing, it didn't left me hanging - it made em crave for more and immediately wanted to pick up book 2 (Honestly, I actually did!!)

 I read the book in a single sitting and it was totally worth it and after reading it, I understood what was all the fuzz about. From reading the first page until the last page, you will definitely be at the edge of your seat - that was what happened to me when I was reading this book. I can't say anything bad about this book, really. Definitely a book worth recommending and a book worth 5 stars or more!




1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess. I love your blog, and I'm your newest follower, please stop by my blog and if you like it, PLEASE follow me back!

    www.romanianprincess.com

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive