Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Pages: 387
Publisher: Doubleday
ISNB0385534639 
"Opens at Nightfall; Closes at Dawn." The Le Cirque des Rêves is a circus unlike any other, just as this magical debut novel is equally unique. At the center of The Night Circus spectacle are two specially gifted young magicians, Celia and Marco, pitted against each other in professional competition, drawn towards one another in love. Erin Morgenstern's literary fantasy has already drawn raves for its captivating evocativeness: "A world of almost unbearable beauty.... A love story on a grand scale: it creates, it destroys, it ultimately transcends." "A novel so magical that there is no escaping its spell... If you choose to read just one novel this year, this is it."
Review:

The Night Circus is both magical and enthralling as I hoped it would be. The Night Circus is told in a slow pace, slowly unraveling its magic and marvel to the reader giving you ample time to be part of the story as you picture each line and scene that Morgenstern wrote beautifully. I found myself so engulfed in the magic of the book that I wasn't able to put it down, I got drawn into the vivid presentation that I almost felt that I am seeing the story right in front of my eyes. It was such an amazing experience for a reader to encounter.

The story was crafted in such a way that you are drawn both with the plot, the characters and how the story evolves. The story is about a game orchestrated by two magicians using their students to play a game without a timeline and clear rules to battle out each other. As said, it is not a battle of skills but endurance - who will outlast who and the last person standing will be called victor. It also involves another story line of a character named Bailey who becomes a vital part of the circus in the story.

Everything about The Night Circus is to die for. If you don't favor long narratives and imagery but rather fast paced action then this story is not for you. The way that the story is told is also something that you need accustoming to since it can be tricky to read at first but it's all worth it. There is also a love story involve in the story but it somewhat balanced and just right.  Really there are a lot of things to love about this book. And on my opinion, if this book will become a film, Tim Burton will be the first choice to handle the job and do it justice. If you love to be mystified, be enthralled with magic and the fantasy of it, if you love the feeling of being sucked in a book, if you love being mystified then The Night Circus is for you. Highly recommended!




5 comments:

  1. I'm on page 327 of 387 of The Night Circus: Not happy with Starbucks! Got this as a freebie from them and it ends up being an "Extended Sample" Only 60 pages left and it tells me I have to purchase it to finish... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read! I already have this one on my tbr pile and I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bump it up when you have the chance. The books really amazing! :) Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwwwwwww. boo! Better buy yourself a copy. Hope that you are enjoying it so far. Let me know what you think after reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished it a few days ago and is not done gushing about it yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive