Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Seers by Heather Frost

Title: Seers
Author: Heather Frost
Pages: 330
Publisher: Cedar Fort
ISBN: 1599557924
Source: Netgalley

For Kate Bennet, surviving the car wreck that killed her parents means big changes and even bigger problems. As she begins to see auras and invisible people, Kate must learn to trust Patrick O'Donnell, a handsome Guardian, or risk her life being overrun with Demons. She soon realizes that both she and her heart are in big-time trouble.

Review:

Kate Bennet is your typical teenager - except after the accident. Kate unexpectedly gained a new talent which makes her different from everybody else. Kate is a Seer. A seer is a person who sees aura and this helps her determine what other people are feeling. Her talent also tells her who is human and not.

There are a number of things that I loved about this book. For one were the characters. The characters were written in a way that we can somewhat relate to them, except the supernatural elements of it though, and they have their own distinct personality that makes them stand out from everybody else in the story. In addition to Kate, there's Lee who is Kate's best friend and the only person who knows about her talent. Aaron who is Kate's boyfriend is your ideal guy - great student, athlete, good looking, gentleman, and a loving boyfriend. Kate's family is also to love, very funny and amusing all throughout the book. And then enter the Guardians. Patrick was an Irish who died during the revolution and decided to become a Guardian. Good looking, artistic, also a gentleman and a very good protector. Toni well he's also to love - your quirky guy yet remains a trusting partner to Patrick.

The way Frost wrote Seer was great. You'll follow the story in Kate's POV although there are two chapters in the book that is Patrick's. With the dual POV style, what I love about is that the transition was smooth and you won't have a hard time following through. It started a bit slow for me but it picked up pace as I read through the chapters. Another thing that I love about Seers was the love triangle between Patrick-Kate-Aaron. It wasn't your typical instant love that I mostly read in YA. Frost took her time to develop the relationship between Patrick and Kate to make it believable as possible. It was perfect for the story.

The only thing that bugged me was the demon - human - guardian relationship. A demon can't harm you unless you initiate the first contact and guardians can't interfere unless a demon does the first move. That's just off for me but I saw how Frost wanted the story to be her own so I don't really have any issue with that.

To sum everything up, Seers is a fast paced read. Story was not draggy or too slow for a reader. The writing was great. The cover is also a plus for me. Seers is recommended book on my end and I am looking forward on what will happen in the next book. I believe that this is a series worth following.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive