Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare


Title: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instrument #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 464
PublisherSimon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN1416914293 
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father. 

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father? 
Review:

The second book in the Mortal Instrument series wherein Clary discovers her true history - including the fact that Jace is his brother and Valentine is her father. Clary's mother is under a coma, her relationship with Simon seems to turn from friendship to something else and add that to the case of the missing second mortal instrument and killing spree of Downworlders.

After reading City of Bones, I was somewhat hesitant to read City of Ashes but was intrigued enough to pick up the book (and after reading this, would probably be reading the next book as well. Why? Pure curiosity of what will happen to the characters and the story - Tehheeee). So yes, I've finished the City of Ashes and it was better than the City of Bones but I still didn't get too hooked with the story and the characters. A great thing about City of Ashes is it does explain and gives us more history about the characters past, it has more fighting scenes, and plot and character twists. Although there are still some elements that irked me and made  me raised my eyebrows for a minute or two.

The characters. Clary is still childish, self absorbed and stubborn. I still don't like her and reading City of Ashes made me hate her even more. I mean, I do get the idea that she's a teen so she's suppose to act like one but with Clary, it's to the extreme. She does things without thinking of the consequence or the people involved just as long as she goes her way. Valentine is still not as scary he should be, Alec-Isabelle-Simon are still bland characters yet they can be quite entertaining at some point in the book, Magnus was different in this one, better in my opinion - and some of the characters, are just there.As for Jace, he is still an a-hole. :D

I have to agree to some of the reviewers of this book that the idea and the writing is confusing. I do have a lot of moments that I have to re-read a line to understand the whole dialogue and flow of the story. Because of this, reading City of Ashes was sluggish and along the line became boring. I still have a hard time visualizing the whole scenario which makes it harder to concentrate on the book. As a note for future reference, I would want to read more dynamic characters in the next book.

So why am I still reading the series, as I pointed out earlier I still want to know what happens to the characters and the story - there are aspects that just makes each reading experience difficult. Okay to read, but I don't know if I can recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive