Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness


Title: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1)
Author: Deborah Harkness
Pages: 579
Publisher: Viking Adult
ISBN0670022411 
Sometimes scholars should be more careful: Youthful researcher Diana Bishop briefly consults an medieval alchemical manuscript; then, after jotting down a few notes, sends it back to its prison in the stacks. Unfortunately for Diana, her quick dabbling has unleashed a long suppressed curse—and now only she can break the spell. Carefully researched, this debut novel will appeal to fans of historical novel infused with strong paranormal elements.
Review:

One word: AWESOME!

A Discovery of Witches is a divine read, rich in characters and has a scrumptious plot that will definitely suck you into finishing it in no time. Mind you, A Discovery of Witches is not a quick read I would just like to point that out first but don't be scared of that because this is a book that is worth reading and investing your time with.

The characters had depth and individuality, each burning a mark in my imagination that after reading the book - I can still picture the characters. Since this book had a diversity in characters - vampires, witches, demons - I wasn't bored and the story didn't felt dull. The characters where believable in spite the supernatural elements. The combination of the bunch weighted each other and made the whole thing well balanced. Although the middle part was not as quick as the beginning and the end, it was worth it since the book is heavy in details as well as research.

I don't get the Twilight comparison that some readers as well as reviewers said about this book. Maybe its the romance thing but asides that - it's far off. Not even close in my opinion.

I love how Harkness wrote A Discovery of Witches - it captured and enthralled me all throughout providing me with such details that I will forever remember and because of this I am definitely looking forward on the second book! Worth every hour that I devoted in my 3 days reading this book. Definitely recommending this.




2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely interested enough to go look-up if there is Kindle version available for my country. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was amazing and I agree that it was all pretty believable despite being paranormal. Can't wait for the next one!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive