Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Title: Every Other Day
AuthorJennifer Lynn Barnes
Pages: 352
Publisher: Egmont USA
ISBN1606841696
Source: Netgalley

Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.
And then every day in between . . . She's something else entirely.
Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends

Review:

To be honest, I was actually confused when I first started reading Every Other Day. Why? Well I actually didn't know what Kali was. I wasn't sure what to think of her or "what" is she but I love how Barnes created a story that is both intriguing and easy to read so I understood the concept pretty fast. It was action packed, the characters were great plus the ending was totally awesome!

A girl who turns into a demon hunter and someone who loses the ability every other day - that's a first for me. The characters were also amazing and engaging though there are some that we love to hate. Kali was your strong heroine, both brutally kick ass when she has her power but vulnerable when she is human. Skylar the "school slut"/psychic who became Kali's friend or maybe only friend was loyal, supportive and quirky. Although there are times that I find her irritating. There's Bethany who I learned to love over Skylar. The boys in the story seems a little flat - I didn't quite feel connected with them especially Zev who was just a voice mostly 90% in the story. But I love the dialogue exchange between characters - Skylar & Bethany - it was actually fun to read whenever the two exchanged banters.

Overall, Barnes writing was great. It was fast paced, straight to the point and wasn't draggy at all. The book was entertaining and engaging and I never felt a dull moment reading the story. The issues that I may have with the story was the repetitive dialogue on some part of the book  and the conflicting aspect on the story but wasn't too big a deal. Definitely looking forward for the next book!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Leave some love and I'll get back to you soon lovelies. <3

Search

Archive